Call to Action European Action Coalition for the Right to Housing and to the City // 15 demands in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic
In the context of the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic, safety in one’s
own home or shelter is essential! However, the housing crisis has left
great portions of the population in Europe in overcrowded homes,
precarious living conditions and homelessness! “Save a Life/ Stay at
Home” is not possible for many.
This is why we, the European Action Coalition for the Right to Housing and the City (EAC) a network of over 30 housing justice organizations from 20 countries in Europe, are demanding the following immediate actions from all European Union political officials and all national and local governments:
1. MORATORIUM ON ALL EVICTIONS!
2. NO CUTS ON UTILITIES, REGARDLESS OF DEBTS OR FORMAL STATUS!
3. SUSPENSION OF ALL PENALTIES FOR NOT PAYING RENT OR UTILITIES!
4. IMMEDIATE PUBLIC REQUISITION OF HOTELS, TOURIST APARTMENTS, HOLIDAY HOUSES AND ALL EMPTY BUILDINGS TO RE-HOUSE THE HOMELESS AND THE OVERCROWDED!
5. IMMEDIATE REHOUSING OF THE ALREADY HOMELESS AND OVERCROWDED!
6. DECRIMINALIZATION OF OCCUPATIONS OF VACANT BUILDINGS!
7. DECRIMINALIZATION OF ALL INFORMAL, ALTERNATIVE, EPHEMERAL AND MOBILE FORMS OF HOUSING!
8. PROTECTION OF ALL IN COLLECTIVE ACCOMMODATION: student dorms, adoption homes, elderly homes, prisons, homeless shelters, detention centers, refugee centers!
9. FREEZE ALL PROPERTY RENT PRICES!
10. SUSPENSION OF MORTGAGE AND RENT PAYMENTS FOR ALL PEOPLE AFFECTED BY THE CRISIS!
11. SUSPENSION OF ALL AUCTIONS OF FORECLOSED HOMES!
12. SUPPORT FOR ALL AFFECTED BY A POTENTIAL RISE IN DOMESTIC VIOLENCE DUE TO OVERCROWDING AND STAY-AT-HOME IMPOSITIONS!
13. PROTECTION OF ALL MIGRANTS BOTH INSIDE AND AT THE BORDERS OF THE CONTINENT!
14. FREE ACCESS TO MEDICAL TESTING AND TREATMENT FOR ALL!
15. FINANCIAL SUPPORT FOR ALL AT RISK OF LOSING INCOME SOURCES: support for their rents, mortgages, credits, payment of education and medical bills, etc.!
Additionally to these we request that, being faced with the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, the EU should stop its neoliberal fiscal, economic and social policies. we demand a new eu, which promotes and facilitates the investment of public money into the development of public services, including public housing and other forms of non-for-profit housing.
The vast experience of the organizations forming the EAC has shown us that, in a crisis, it is always the most vulnerable, the poor, the homeless, the evictees and the undocumented that are at utmost risk for their health and wellbeing. We urge all to show solidarity, care and empathy to individuals that are most exposed for being affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
SOLIDARITY, CARE, SAFETY AND DECENT HOUSING FOR ALL!